Friday, June 15, 2012

What do these dresses have in common?

So this gal wanted to make something special. She'd been looking for exactly the right thing. She had this clipping of a slim skirted sleeveless dress. But look at that back neckline...wow! It's a show-stopper. (This dress is by Jeannette Alexander.)

Then she had this much more sedate simple sheath with a boxy jacket. More like an office look?

So what did she find? This amazing Simplicity Pattern 2370. It has that sexy low back and the boxy little jacket...plus a terrific overskirt to change out the look. She did well!
(both clippings were found inside the pattern envelope.)

As a side note, the pattern is stamped "Parsons Dept. Store" and the address is across the street from my favorite coffee shop, but nobody remembers a department store ever being there, and I couldn't find out anything online. I'd love to know more.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it cool to find something personal inside. It gives us a glimpse of the objects past life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had quite a few of these lately, I love the clues as to what they were looking for and what they found. I had a customer say that buying a pattern is like buying a little dream. I think that's right for these, there was an idea in her head of how she'd look and she tried to make that happen. Of course that is still true today...making dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a dress Doris Day would wear in Pillow Talk or one of her later romantic comedies! Cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible how clear the story is, what the owners inspirations were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, but did you realize the pictures from this post are gone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. I just spent way too much time trying to find these pictures. (I hate Photobucket!) And my pattern sold, so I'm afraid we are out of luck. But I can assure you they were great. :-)
    And thanks for looking this far into the blog.

    ReplyDelete